Friday, January 18, 2013

Nutrition & Dental Health


Today my children seen the dentist, granted they were past due for their check up as life got busy and I sadly put it on the back burner of things I needed to do. for between their last check up at 3 years old and the dental visit today at 5 years old a lot has happened! and it is NOT good! Sadly I learned that my boys malnutrition and neglect from birth to 18 months old has caused them to have weak teeth, I am sure the biological mothers drug and alcohol use did not help either. Though bringing them in sooner would not have prevented the problems it may have reduced the severity and instead of a baby root canal and four cavities they may have had just cavities we do not know for sure. The point of me adding this to my blog is two fold. one being to share with you the importance of making sure your kids get the proper nutrition to avoid juice in sippy cups etc. My boys drank water from the time I got them but sadly the damage had already been done! A child really does need the vegetables and fruits! and not the ones from the store loaded with pesticides! If you do not have room for a garden or time simply shop at a farmers market and buy chemical free produce! One of my boys loves Veggies and is rarely sick my other son will not eat anything green or vegetables unless I hide them in something which I do a lot! but that still removes a lot of the nutrients then when I just steam them. Needless to say he not only is sick more including now he also is the one with the more severe dental problems!  I have made huge progress on eating more healthy but after learning this I am making a conscious decision and effort to eat vegetables daily! and really make sure each meal is balanced and has all the nutrients they need! This spring will be my first large garden, I want to grow enough produce to be able to preserve my fruits and vegetables to get us through winter as well. until we can build a green house on the new property when we buy it.  The second reason is obviously to keep up on your childrens dental visits. Make your 6 month check up appointment before you leave the dental office that day, then it is scheduled and less likely to be put off! I will be doing this from now on as well!....and of course even on lazy nights make sure they brush especially before bed so much bacteria builds up and sits in their mouths all night!
May you all have happy healthy smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment